Monday, November 14, 2005

Why so many opticians???

I've decided that I have to get a pair of glasses...the blindness thing is really not very useful and particularly not if I'm required to drive a husband who is "running-late" to work in the morning, as this requires me to prise open my eyes and force a pair of lenses into them or face not being able to see the colour of the lights as I approach traffic lights or to spot other vehicles on roundabouts...which is generally less than ideal - particularly given the way the bloody swiss drive over here.

Okay - so now you'd think this would be an easy thing to do...well it would be if i didn't have the choice of about 30,000 opticians in the area...now how on earth am I supposed to choose one? Well yes I exaggerate a little perhaps, but there are in this small town alone no less than 12 yes 12 opticians...all I can deduce is that in order to be able to support so many of them there must be some seriously bad eye-sight in Nyon. I think most likely brought on by staying up late in poor light (the lights are all out so early round here they must be using torches to do this) counting their big piles of money. Even Alain Affelou the famous French optician lives in Switzerland these days, for god's sake! This is God's Country for the optician!

As an aside - I have also noticed that the only other major company to site its HQ in Nyon is "Tupperware" how more Stepford can this town get???

Talking of Stepford though I have succumbed slightly and found myself pickling pears and bottling them in spices for Christmas......hmmmm, I think I may need some fresh air and a stiff drink. I have also tried to break the news that as far as I'm concerned mis-matched wrapping paper is just thoroughly unacceptable to my aesthetic vision of Christmas in Stepford-ville and that I will be providing paper, ribbons, tape and a quiet space in which to wrap to all of those who are planning on giving this year...I'd quite like him to broach that with his Mother though, I'm not sure that she'd take me seriously. Swiss have already said "NO" to christmas crackers in their luggage...even if completely sealed on the basis that they are explosives....see kill-joys the lot of them, although now it does make sense why you can't fly with a gilette venus razor in your hand luggage - I mean if you can't carry crackers.....No I still don't understand actually - answers on a postcard? I now have to keep myself busy enough to prevent myself making my own. (Crackers that is - fear not Gilette!)

Anyway the Pickled Pear Recipe....(just in case)

Preparation time less than 30 mins
Cooking time 10 to 30 mins

Ingredients

1.5kg/3lb 5oz pears (they need to be firm and unbruised)
10 allspice berries
6 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick snapped in half
1 unwaxed lemon, zest only, peeled into large strips
a small piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
425ml/15fl oz white wine vinegar
225g/8oz granulated sugar

Method
1. Peel the pears, halve and remove the cores. Place in a saucepan with just enough water to cover them. Bring to boil and then let them simmer gently for 5-6 minutes.

2. Remove the pears with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate.

3. Measure the remaining liquid in the pan and add enough water to make it up to a pint.

4. Bring the pan up to a boil again and add the allspice berries, cloves, cinnamon, lemon zest and ginger. Add the vinegar and sugar and then stir until the sugar has dissolved. Cook for a few minutes.

5. Add the pears back to the pan and poach in the liquid until they are soft but still hold their shape.

6. Take off the heat and transfer the pears to sterilised jars and pour over the liquid with the spices to submerge them. Seal and store in a dark cupboard or pantry for 3-4 weeks before using.

These pickled pears are excellent served with left-over turkey and cold meats.

1 comment:

Stepford in Switzerland said...

Now really do you think I have time to consider this? And who said you could advertise your crappy survey on my blog? Huh???