Friday, November 04, 2005

Christmas in Switzerland

Do they all go away for Christmas? Let's hope so! But seriously...is there an official time that we have to eat dinner? Can I get some Christmas crackers brought over? Am I allowed to run the dishwasher on the day? Will I manage to smuggle the goose over the border?

Now that question is really keeping me up at nights...am I better buying it all in France in one go and hoping I don't get stopped on the way over the border on the basis that I run the risk of losing the whole dinner?....or do I make several trips over a few days and possibly draw attention to my forays to Carrefour? I mean I really don't want a criminal record for Christmas!

Add to this the stress of cooking dinner for my in-laws....I mean my mother-in-law has 36 years of experience in cooking xmas dinners.... I have....oh let's see.....ummmm...one or two?( and they were with lots of help!) I mean it's not the same as the year I cooked dinner for 50 people, but then I was part of a 6 man team....and hell I didn't know the people I was cooking for, I never even had to meet them.....this is something wholly different! And I haven't the benefit of M&S nearly foolproof and failsafe ready to go meals…..my nearest M&S is I think perhaps Folkstone (?) and there is no way I can get that all back under the radar of the Swiss! And neither do I have time between now and xmas to set-up an M&S Franchise in Nyon.

Anyway all that aside given the weather this year so far not even we are guaranteed a white xmas here in Switzerland, its just too mild for words....and more importantly for snow and ski-ing!

No comments: