Thursday, September 15, 2005

If there's red meat on the menu, don't think twice, just eat it!!

There is something strange going on here.....I haven't seen a cow in a field once since arriving in switzerland. Where are the purple milka cows? And are they the cause of the cost of red meat being so high? Are they high maintenance cows? Does the cost of their feed really have to be passed on to the poor unsuspecting consumer?

I write this looking at a recent supermarket receipt, bear in mind that the exchange rate means you get approximatley 2 Swiss Francs to the Pound, but since when did a small (and I mean really small) steak cost you £5 ?? My receipt clearly states that a steak cost me just that a whole SFr 10.75!

And then whilst we're on the subject - you know those baby sweetcorn things that are so popular in stir-fries and thai curries, well you'd not pay more than £2 a pack in the UK - but then I don't believe that Tesco import them from Thailand as my local supermarket in Switzerland feel it necessary to do!

Oh and this country so hyped up on its ability to recycle just about anything has the cheek to make you pay for easy to recycle paper bags, but you can have as many of the plastic enviroment choking ones as you like free of charge....please who makes up the policies??

But back to meat.....its ludicrous that in this day and age that meat should be such a rare treat! And thinking on this some more, I now know why the restaurant we went to at the weekend keep back half of your meal and serve it to you as a second helping - its portion and cost control gone mad, conditioning you to think that you're getting a lot of red meat - but you're not! They're busy trying to pull the wool over the consumers eyes again! Where's Anne Robinson when you need her?

Oh yes I know...she's on the Weakest Link on BBC Prime - but they only bought one weeks worth of programming - I know all the answers to that week now that I have seen it twice!
But I'm sure she'd have something to say about the diminutive chickens and dwarf lamb chops that are display in the supermarkets here! How can a nation be so diametrically opposed to its neighbour France, where vegetarianism is regarded with deep scepticism and vegetables served up, tied in neat meat-secured bundles?

Can someone send me steak parcels? I'm ok I take multi-vitamins so that should ensure that I don't become too pale and Swiss looking, and my husband was sent to work with the line ..."whatever you do if there is red meat on the menu, don't think twice, just eat it!" ringing in his ears.

No comments: