Friday, December 02, 2005

Bah Humbug!

I really do wish that it wasn't December. I mean apart from the cold (we finally had some snow) and the Christmas shopping to do (I can thankfully stick two fingers up at Swiss airlines now as I have found someone brave enough to ship crackers to me here) it also means that my next door neighbour now feels compelled to change the decorations in the hallway....How do I know this given that I haven't been out yet today? Well the banging about in the hallway was just too much to ignore and so I had to spy through the hole in the door. Now, I haven't seen the finished product from the full-frontal aspect yet, but just from the small glimpse I got through the door, its ugly....its very silver (think an international tinsel incident) and very tacky. It is also rather distracting as it appears that she may realise that I don't appreciate her interior design skills and is therefore securing it with 9,000 nails!! Or should that be 9 inch nails?

But hey ho at least some skiing may get done soon as the snow is making its way down the mountains. In the meanwhile well there's freezing rain and slushy roads to enjoy. Oh and the disturbed kid two doors up who seems convinced that free-styling a snowman is the way forward, hence blair-witchesque style offerings on the back lawn.

There is a theme here I think....swiss people and twisted ideas on decor? They just start from a very early age here I guess, bad taste in the blood may be? Does anyone from anywhere else in the world marry a swiss person? Or is that why this whole thing came about? A long history of inbreeding producing a nation of the completely tasteless and aesthetically stunted? As a theory I don't think its a particularly bad one - the only famous swiss artists I have managed to find are Giacometti and Klee and neither of them stayed in Switzerland so may be that's why they managed to achieve what they did?

Anyway going to go and take some pictures of the monstrosity outside the front door, I suppose at least we should be thankful for small mercies...tinsel burns rather well and very easily......
Don't page down if you are of a nervous disposition!



No comments: